Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Internet Friend Or Foe

Let us define our terms, learn to speak the language of each other while working with the internet. I had a hard time reading this essay because my views are almost completely opposite. Ullman’s major concern is self glorification and increased individualism. With individualism you lose the connection to society and all hope of having balance to life. This is all do to the internet which will be the cause of job loss because who will want to go and talk to a person when you can just find the information out on the internet. Ullman wants everyone to experience the crowded streets and the niceness of a store clerk. I see the other side. I see the side where after you have crazy day of helping others and being in the world you get to have a place where you can share the things you want to share, and where you can express your thoughts without being interrupted or told you are stupid.

The internet was a fast developing technology that took some by surprise. I think that it has created a lot of jobs over the years. I know lots have lost their jobs because things developed quickly and were not stainable, but I don’t think it was a job loss for travel agents. We were having a lunch room conversation just yesterday about cruise ships, and we were discussing how you get a better deal going to a travel agent then buying your tickets online. I think as a society we have embraced these issues and adjusted so that we take care of our job market.

Ullman also discussed the lack of communication about the online experience. I think that has changed with knowledge of what we are looking at and the development of online language. Google has made a new verb: googling. Wikipedia has become a quick tool for students, from high school to college, to research what their instructors are asking them and find new sources of information on the internet. At the same time, Ullman’s concerns come to light when we discuss topics like internet bulling, were students use online social sites to spread horrible rumors about someone. Or when a girl struggling with anorexia can hide in her room and find others like herself encouraging her eating disorder instead of helping her to overcome it. Then you have someone like me, who had a medical disability keep me at home. The internet became a way for me to do things I wasn’t able to do because of my disability. I made friends who were able to help encourage me when I was depresses. I also was able to stay contacted with my other friends whose lives moved on while I battled for my health. Like all new things in this world we have to find a balance for ourselves. The balance will come when we find a way to live our lives to the fullest and still have the internet as a useful tool and fun way to relax.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Heh. I actually remember this post. :)

The addition you made to the end of your post really helped make your argument flow better. :)