Sunday, December 21, 2008

Twilight

Discovering that Pop Culture can affect your life is something that I didn’t think would ever happen. Okay I am officially really truly obsessed with Twilight. It has been an interesting process for me. Going from the complete stressed out state of working and going to school to having something relaxing that I wanted to do desperately. I read all four books in about 10 days. I have seen the movie (okay a few times.) I have checked out fan web sites. Now, Jody got me reading the web site (www.stepheniemeyer.com)

Finding the community while doing something I just simply enjoy has turned into an interesting experience for me. People everywhere are reading these books. Not just out there in other parts of the world, but people in my own community. From long time best friend, sisters, brother, mother and coworkers. I heard people discussing these books when I went shopping to one store on Black Friday. I went to the library to see if I could get the books there. Well, have over thirty copies of the books and they were all checked out. Every single one of them. In the community I live in everyone is reading these books.

I feel that this pop culture trend has stunk up to me. I would want people to think that I am unique and never follow main stream society. I am my own person. I am strong and secure in just being me. So what happened? How did I end up in the middle of a Pop Culture trend? I think it is because the subject matter in this case. It isn’t like it is about fashion or who is dating who. This is about Romance, Vampires, Humans and Werewolves. What could be better? This book dispels Vampire myth to the point that it you can really believe that they could exist in our world. Explains the changing process from human to vampire and redefines what mean family and how having a soul mates affects your life.

The affects on who I am are defiantly profound. Not that it changed me but it remembers me how to love from the heart and let the worldly things fall away. Seeing myself in that love and giving that love to others in my actions. Discovering who I am, who I strive to be and seeing that I am able to love charters in a story as much as I love the special people in my own life.

No comments: